Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Should I pursue a major in Psychology? A master's


Should I pursue a major in Psychology? A master's?
I am a junior in high school and am very interested in going into the Psychology field. So far, Developmental Psychology sounds best, but I've just begun learning. Any advice from those who are working towards/have already obtained a Masters in the field or higher? Is there a big need for Psychologists like there is for nurses?
Psychology - 4 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
I would stick with being a psychologist.


2
I don't know much at all on the subject, but I was doing a google search on the topic not long ago and found this website, although I don't know if it will help. http://www.jobfutures.ca/noc/4151.shtml It's on psychologists.


3
Psych is the fastest growing medical field today. As for a degree, it depends. Do you want to do research or teach? Then get a Phd. Do you want to open a private practise? Then a Masters is fine. You can also choose to work as a social worker (Masters of Social Work) or for state mental health system (BA with Phych emphasis). Or you can go into the medical field with a degree in Psychiatry (you have to get a BA and then go to med school for this). Good luck!


4
In my experience, only a Ph.D in Psych allows you to do anything other than testing, etc. You need clinical experience to do therapy...I got an MA in Guidance and Counseling in '74, got a lot of clinical training and got to work with very troubled adolescents, young women and guys, for 21 yrs. VERY rewarding work!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment