Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What can I do with a masters in psychology besides counseling


What can I do with a masters in psychology besides counseling?
Hello. I just got my bachelors in psychology and I'm not sure whether I should continue to a masters program. I found studying psychology interesting but I'm not really sure that I would enjoy it as a profession. Also does anyone know what I could do with a masters in psychology besides traditional counseling and teaching? The others things that I'm interested in are literature and philosphy but really the only thing I could do with that is teach and I don't want to be limited.
Psychology - 4 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
You make it sound as if teaching is limited, which it is not. I suggest you look in the library at the Occupational Outlook Handbook that is put out yearly. It describes many different professions, what education you'll need, salary, etc. Look up Psychology and see what is listed, I think you will be surprised. You can go into research, teach, counsel, social work, etc., etc. I strongly suggest you choose what you love to do and what interests you over money.


2
Write interesting articles on the Internet about your studies, which will build a readership base... which will lead to a bonus... making money at the same time peace ...greggace


3
If you don't want to help people I can't help you. Sorry.


4
It's good to hear you're taking to time to seriously consider different options - most psychology majors go to grad school or just get any position that's available..... There are several "non-traditional" positions I would recommend looking into - all of these positions require either a master's or doctorate in psychology and do NOT entail counseling or teaching. In the order that I think you might want to consider them, based on demand in industry/# of jobs available: #1: Organizational psychologist: This is what I do. I assess performance and assist people with different issues in the workplace - and it is SO not counseling - it's coaching, which involves coming up with a plan for change. The job also involves survey research - sometimes - but there are some interesting positions in this field. #2: Human factors psychologist: This is a psychologist who is also an engineer - and is paid very well. The job involves designing spaces appropriate for human occupation and interaction, such as office spaces and airplane cockpits. VERY hot field right not. #3: Forensic psychologist: Yes, they have to go through the therapy training, but they work with incarcerated felons, helping them acquire the necessary skills to reenter society. I know a lot of people who enter this profession, and they've all enjoyed it. #4: Quantitative psychologist: This is also called an experimental psychologist. And you have to LOVE psychologist to be one. I doubt you'd dig this - but if you do, this would involve conducting psychological experiments. #5: Psychobiologist: Studying the behavior and thought processes of animals - usually works in a University laboratory. Cool stuff. #6: Community psychologist: They have many community psychology programs, but I'm doubting they have community psychology in practice - except for community relations positions in government (which is fun work). Very interesting field though! And there are other fields as well - development psychology, sensation and perception psychology, social psychology - but these are "academic/teaching fields" for the most part. Hope this helps! :) P.S. - Don't rule out academic positions that don't involve teaching, such as those in writing centers. Check out www.chronicle.com and go to the careers section for academic jobs - most require a master's degree....they have TONS of very interesting academic positions....

0 comments:

Post a Comment