Thursday, September 22, 2011

What jobs can I get with a masters in psychology


What jobs can I get with a masters in psychology?
Currently my major is psychology, and I want to pursue my master's. How competitive is getting into grad school to get my master's, anyway? What jobs can I get with a master's in psychology? Can I work in a school? Please any information, thanks.
Psychology - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Grad school is very expensive. After you graduate, you will be able to work at a fast-food joint. You will either be flipping burgers or saying "Do you want fries with that?". I would pursue a more worthwhile career.


2
You can become an associate psychologist (basically a counselor) with just a masters. Your income will much less than that of a professionally licensed psychologist. Here in Texas, a licensed psychologist makes about $75k starting, and an associate psychologist is lucky to make $45k starting. My best advice is after you get your bachelors, enroll in a PH.D program. Do not enroll in a "terminal masters" program if you plan to get your PH.D. in the future. It's a tough road, but getting a PH.D. will give you far more options. I planned everything out for my wife when she began pursuing her psychology degree. Hope this helps.


3
I got a masters in psychology from Columbia University Teachers College. It was expensive, although the program was only one year long. With that degree, I got a job with the State of California doing forensic psychiatry research. My salary before I quit to go back to grad school to get my Ph.D was 70,000 USD per year. Quite a bit more money than a burger flipper, dont you think? There are many jobs you can get with a masters in psych. Many mid-level research jobs require a masters degree. Also, if you have statistics skills and experience, you can quite easily get a job in government. Many hospitals also hire psych people to do administrative stuff and data gathering (e.g., Kaiser).

0 comments:

Post a Comment