Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What can I do with a masters degree in psychology


What can I do with a masters degree in psychology?
I am hoping to get a career that would require masters in psychology. However, the company I hope to work for is very picky and it is very difficult to be accepted. What kind of careers could I get with a masters in psychology, should being hired by said company not go so well? I would go for the PsyD or PhD, but I come from a pretty low income family and it'll be a miracle if I can afford to get through my masters. I'd need some serious scholarships to get through grad school.
Higher Education (University +) - 5 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Real estate, security, sales, etc. Psycholgy is still very general; with a teaching certificate you could teach just about anything anywhere. Be confidant.


2
You could become a counselor or look into government jobs(state and federal) where you'll be dealing with the public(they'll like the psych degree). Sales, jury selection consultant to law firms, career counselor.


3
Go for your PhD or PsyD. I have a BA in psych and there is nothing out here for anything less than a doctor. If it were possible for me to continue schooling right now that's what I'd be doing.


4
With a master's degree in Psychology or probably better yet, Community or Applied Psychology, you could eventually take your board exams and become a licensed counselor. You could even specialize in marriage and family therapy, chemical dependency counseling, rehabilitative counseling, school and vocational counseling, or just the general area. Usually, these programs will not be listed on the graduate bulletin under the psychology heading; they usually fall under Human Services, Community Counseling, or Applied Psychology headings, but all are masters degree programs and have a nice starting/entry level salary. If you would like to become a clinical psychologist or researcher, that will require a Ph.D or Psy. D, there is just no getting around that with those types of careers. If you want to do therapy and counsel clients, than the other routes I mentioned previously will get you there and will allow you to finish at a faster rate.


5
What would you like to do with your degree when you are done with your Master's: work in business, do research, work in the schools, or be a therapist/counselor? You have to answer this question before you can really choose a Master's program. Business = Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Schools = School Psychology, Therapist/Counselor = Community or Clinical Psychology or a Counseling Masters, Research = any of the above or social or experimental psychology. Also, many Master's programs offer graduate assistantships that pay your tuition for you working part time hours in a position on campus. However, you would have to go to school full-time to get one of these. I made it through my school psychology program with a 20 hour grad assistantship plus working part time outside of school. Good luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment