Friday, July 8, 2011

If I did not major in psychology for my BA, but I went for a psychology masters, could I become a psychologist


If I did not major in psychology for my BA, but I went for a psychology masters, could I become a psychologist
My BA is in history, but I wonder if it's too late to do anything in psychology if I got a master's in it. Actually, while I'm on the subject what could I do with a history major besides teaching or working in a museum?
Higher Education (University +) - 5 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
With a Masters, you could become a Social Worker or a Licensed Therapist. To become a Psychologist, you would need to go for your PhD in Psychology.


2
If you get a masters in psychology you can become a psychologist as long as you take the ceritification exam. You do not need a bachelors in psych to get your masters. And as far as your history degree goes, to be honest I really don't know what other kind of job you can get with a B.A. in history.


3
You can go on and get your masters in psychology. You do not need to have a BA it to get a grad degree. Just need to meet the requirements of the school you are attending for your masters. I don't know of any jobs that you can get specifically designed for a BA in history. (Many employers want someone with a BA, though) You cannot usually teach with just a BA, either, you would need a teaching credential.


4
OK, in most state you cannot become a therapist with just a masters in psychology, you need a masters in social work (go figure.) Here are the routes to take if you want to be a therapist: MASTERS LEVEL: BS or BA in any liberal arts degree Masters in Social Work (60 credits, 2 years full time) Take the state test, become an LMSW (licensed) and you can be a therapist working at a clinic, hospital, group, etc. under supervision by an LCSW or Psychologist. Three years of clinical experience and a test later, you can become an LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) and 3 years after that, you can apply for the R designation (reimbursement) LCSW-R and have a private practice. That's the fastest way to be a therapist - 2 years post BA or BS. For your own practice -6 years experience post grad (at least in my state, NY) If you want to become a psychologist, you will need a Phd. or a PsyD. The Phd. is more research oriented, the PsyD. is more clinical, and is usually a little shorter. You're looking at 4-6 years on these, sometimes more. You do not need a masters degree before taking a Phd. degree, you can apply with a bachelors degree. Think about what you want to do with the degree - if you want to be a therapist, you don't need the Phd. or PsyD. Most psychologists I know do psychological testing, not counseling. They send the counseling to the MSWs. Good luck!


5
Many schools let you get a masters w/o a undergrad in psych. But normally you have to have certian classes. So check and see. If they do, then do that during the summer. Just call and talk to uni's

0 comments:

Post a Comment