Wednesday, June 15, 2011

How much money can i expect to earn yearly with a master's in school psychology? What about a bachelors in psy


How much money can i expect to earn yearly with a master's in school psychology? What about a bachelors in psy
I am in college and LOVE psychology, I just want to know how much I can expect to earn with either a bachelors in psychology or a master's in school psychology. If you seriously know what I could expect to make, I would like to know! Thank you! Plz, dont answer if you dont know about this.
Careers & Employment - 4 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
psychology majors do not offer alot of money and are very hard to get jobs. maybe 40-60k. i assume you were thinking of being a psychiatrist and making like 200k/year but that field is a specialized medical profession which you have to go to med school for.


2
what do you want to do? that is the question. with a bachelor's you dont have much freedom, but with a masters in clinical psych you can get licensed as a counselor and practice how you choose.


3
In the past school psychology was a field that was looking for people so there wasn't a ton of competition for jobs, which meant they were being somewhat well paid. I'm not sure if that's true anymore. You may want to go to your college's career and placement department and do some research on this before you go too far down that path. I was a psychology major. My area of interest was Industrial/Organizational (IO) psychology. I started out in HR, but when the economy got tough, I ended up in a job that is not related to psychology.


4
School psychology is a nationwide area of critical shortage. Research suggests that in the next 10-15 years there will be way more jobs than there will be people graduating from graduate programs in school psychology, so you will be able to find a job once you graduate. I believe the last data that I saw put the median salary for school psychologists to be around $50 K a year (this was published back in 2000 by the National Association of School Psychologists, so it's probably outdated). As for me, I have my Ed.S. degree is school psychology (above a Masters, lower and a Doctorate). I am in my third year and I'll make about $54 K this year working an 11 month (220 day) contract. I get pension, medical, health, and vision benfits as well, along with 2 weeks off for winter break and a week off for spring break. People with just a Masters get paid a little less, people with a Doctorate get paid a little more (usually $1,000-$2,000 a year difference in each direction, but it varies from district to district). Of course, districts pay more than others, so you have to consider that when looking at your opportunities (sometimes this is because they offer 10 month contracts or 12 month contracts. Obviously the more you work, the more money you'll make). Some states, such as Florida, offer tuition reimbursement/loan forgiveness as well. I've gotten $1,800 from it thus far, and the max I can get from it is $10 K. Of course you could get licensed and either do some work on the side or open up your own practice, so that may adjust your income some more. As far as working with a bachelor's in psychology, you're unlikely to find work within the field with just a bachelor's. You need at least a masters, although if you're looking at school psychology you should consider the Ed.S. degree, since most people graduating from programs are currently getting those degrees. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me through my profile. I hope this helps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment