Saturday, January 8, 2011

How difficult is admission into a Psychology Master's Program


How difficult is admission into a Psychology Master's Program?
I'm interested in Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical, Counseling etc.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Its pretty difficult- To give you an idea, I had a 3.3, with a gre- 560q,480v,5.5w and didnt get into any of the 10 schools I applied to (and I wasnt applying to anything too difficult- even applied to Western Kentucky University). I had several research opportunities, did a senior honors thesis which ended up being published, excellent letters of rec etc. To get in, you really need a 3.6+ with a gre combined q/v of around 1200+. It does depend on what you apply for though. IE-clinical is harder- but you need a phd to do anything with it as masters isnt recognized. MFT is usually housed in the social work department, thus, its easier to get in. (Thats what I ended up doing, going into clinical social work- all pays the same when you get done, but I still later went after a phd in school psychology- which is where I am now.) Counseling- that depends on what you want to do- school counseling is easier as its housed in the education department, but clinical counseling is the middle ground- harder than mft but easier than clinical itself. Hope that helps.

0 comments:

Post a Comment